Kumar Sangakkara breaks Don Bradman`s record of most 190 plus scores
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The imperious Sri Lanka batsman Kumar Sangakkara breaks the 66-year-old record for most scores of 190 plus held by Sir Donald Bradman of Australia. On Saturday, the former Sri Lanka captain completed his 10th Test double century and 13th 190 plus score at Galle.
His innings of 221 runs against Pakistan in the first Test match at Galle International Stadium helped Sri Lanka declare at 533 for nine. In the process, he also surpassed West Indies legend Brian Lara`s nine double hundreds.
Bradman has 12 Test double hundred`s in his name and it was once considered unbreakable. But with Sangakkara in such sublime form, it now looks distinctly possible to surpass that mark.
In the list of most double century scorers, Wally Hammond of England and Sangakkara`s team-mate Mahela Jayawardene are in fourth with seven each.
They are followed by another Sri Lankan Marvan Atapattu, Indian master blasters Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag, Pakistan legend Javed Miandad and former Aussie skipper Ricky Ponting, all with six doubles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes