Lack of good pacers reason for Pak`s dismal show in SA: Qasim
Karachi: Pakistan cricket chief selector Iqbal Qasim has said that the dearth of quality pace bowlers is the key reason for the national team`s poor performance in the ongoing tour of South Africa.
Qasim said that Pakistan at the moment lacked pacers of the class of Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar.
"The truth is the pace bowling cupboard is bare of quality stuff and the situation in domestic cricket is also not very encouraging for us," Qasim said.
The former Test spinner, who has had to face criticism for the team`s shoddy showing in South Africa, said that the fast bowlers had not performed up to expectations in the series so far.
"We need to be honest with ourselves that we are not producing the quality players we used to have in the past. It is the same as far as fast bowling is concerned," he said.
Pakistan lost all three Tests inside four days and their most experienced pacer, Umar Gul could take just five wickets in two matches at an average of 45 each.
Pakistan team has been facing a dearth of fast bowlers for some time now. Two of its best pacers of the modern generation -- Muhammad Asif and Muhammad Aamir -- were banned by the International Cricket Council and also served jail sentences for the spot-fixing scandal that broke out in England in 2010.
Qasim said that he had discussed the matter with the PCB and when the team returned home, the selectors would take stock of performances and figure out what needed to be done for the future.
"We will have a meeting with the board when the tour is over. I wouldn`t like to make any comments now when the team is still playing in South Africa. We have identified some areas where we need to work hard. One of them is finding and grooming new pace bowlers," he said.
He said that the idea is to find raw talents and have them scrutinised and groomed for future in a special fast bowling camp with the help of greats like Wasim, Waqar and others.
"The fact is that now-a-days you need to have a battery of quality pace bowlers to meet the demands of the international calender and all three different formats of the game," Qasim said.
Pakistan team`s performance, including the team management`s, has come in for strong criticism from the cricket community with some former players demanding the sacking of coach Dav Whatmore and some senior players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India