Lalit Modi demands termination of CSK from IPL
New Delhi: Former IPL chairman Lalit Modi on Friday demanded that Chennai Super Kings be terminated from the League after the arrest of the team`s owner Gurunath Meiyappan.
Asked to react on the course of action after the arrest of Gurunath, Modi said "CSK should be terminated" immediately and fresh auction be held.
"If an owner of an IPL team is engaged in betting, the contract clearly states that there is a suo motu right to cancel the agreement of the team and that should be done right away," he said.
"They (Chennai Super Kings) should not exist. There contract should be cancelled and a new auction should be held for the franchise," Modi told TV channels.
"Betting is a strict no no. It is against the constitution of IPL. It is against the constitution of BCCI", he said.
Modi questioned BCCI president N Srinivasan`s conflict of interest in the game and said Meiyappan is very much an owner of the team unlike what Indian Cements, owner of CSK, claim.
"When I was IPL chairman, passes were issued only after team owners gave us the names and after all documentation," he said.
To a question about the future of IPL, Modi said the only way forward for it to continue is that the team owners should come forward to run the competition.
The team owners should approach the court and secure an order to run the IPL and not leave it to BCCI or IPL Governing Council whose members are more interested in grabbing powers.
"If the team owners do not come forward to run IPL, the League will die", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news