Lalit Modi demands termination of CSK from IPL
New Delhi: Former IPL chairman Lalit Modi on Friday demanded that Chennai Super Kings be terminated from the League after the arrest of the team`s owner Gurunath Meiyappan.
Asked to react on the course of action after the arrest of Gurunath, Modi said "CSK should be terminated" immediately and fresh auction be held.
"If an owner of an IPL team is engaged in betting, the contract clearly states that there is a suo motu right to cancel the agreement of the team and that should be done right away," he said.
"They (Chennai Super Kings) should not exist. There contract should be cancelled and a new auction should be held for the franchise," Modi told TV channels.
"Betting is a strict no no. It is against the constitution of IPL. It is against the constitution of BCCI", he said.
Modi questioned BCCI president N Srinivasan`s conflict of interest in the game and said Meiyappan is very much an owner of the team unlike what Indian Cements, owner of CSK, claim.
"When I was IPL chairman, passes were issued only after team owners gave us the names and after all documentation," he said.
To a question about the future of IPL, Modi said the only way forward for it to continue is that the team owners should come forward to run the competition.
The team owners should approach the court and secure an order to run the IPL and not leave it to BCCI or IPL Governing Council whose members are more interested in grabbing powers.
"If the team owners do not come forward to run IPL, the League will die", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands