Lancashire win first county title since 1934
London: Lancashire won their first English championship title since 1934 when they defeated Somerset by eight wickets on the final day of the county season on Thursday.
Steven Croft (40 not out) struck the winning runs to ensure a 10th win of the season and the title for Lancashire with five overs to spare after Warwickshire failed to beat Hampshire at the Rose Bowl.
Lancashire have finished second eight times since 1934, five of them in the last 13 years. They shared the title with Surrey in 1950.
"The boys have been amazing this year, competitive to the end," captain Glen Chapple, who battled against a hamstring injury during the match, told Sky Sports.
"We have played good cricket all the way through, we have won games that maybe some other teams wouldn`t have won."
Coach Peter Moores, who was in charge of the England side between April 2007 and January 2009, added: "You know as a coach you have some seasons where you have a drama, we have had none of that here, we have worked very hard to get to this point."
Lancashire have been based in Liverpool this season while Old Trafford in Manchester is being redeveloped.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged