Lanka names 15-member squad for CT; Mendis omitted
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Thursday named a 15-member squad for the ICC Champions Trophy to be held in England next month with the selectors continuing to snub spinner Ajantha Mendis.
Besides Mendis, batsman Upul Tharanga also failed to find a place in the squad for the June 6-23 tournament.
Angelo Mathews, who captained Pune Warriors in the ongoing IPL before dropping himself, will lead the Sri Lankan squad with Dinesh Chandimal being named his deputy.
Mendis continued to be sidelined as he was also not named in the Sri Lankan squad against Bangladesh in the home ODI series in March.
Former skipper Mahela Jayawardene, who is captaining Delhi Daredevils in the ongoing IPL, also returns after missing the ODIs against Bangladesh due to a finger injury.
Four other playing who are featuring in the IPL -- Kumar Sangakkara, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Lasith Malinga and Sachithra Senanayake -- figured in the squad.
The Squad: Angelo Mathews (capt), Dinesh Chandimal (vc), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Kusal Janith Perera, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardena, Lahiru Thirimanne, Jeevan Mendis, Thisara Perera, Lasith Malinga, Rangana Herath, Nuwan Kulasekera Shaminda Eranga, Sachithra Senanayake and Chanaka Welagedera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?