Lanka to use Proteas series to target World No. 1 ODI spot
Johannesburg: Sri Lanka wants to use their upcoming ODI series against South Africa as a stepping stone towards the number one spot in the world rankings, ahead of next year`s World Cup.
Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews said that securing the top spot in the three-match series against South Africa is at the back of their mind.
However, Mathews added that the Sri Lankan squad just wants to take it game by game, series by series and play positive cricket, Sport24 reported.
Sri Lanka will play three ODIs and two Test matches against South Africa, with the first ODI to be played on Sunday in Colombo.
Sri Lanka is presently third in the ODI rankings, while South Africa is fifth, with Australia being the top ranked country.
South Africa captain AB de Villiers said that the upcoming tour would be tough due to the hosts` great form.
Sri Lanka won the World Twenty20 tournament this year and they have returned from a successful tour in England where the team beat the home side in all three forms of the game, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra Show to focus on building new enterprise
- DNA: Today in History, 26th August, 2016
- Space X Dragon successfully splashes down in Pacific Ocean with crucial NASA research samples
- Good news! Shahid Kapoor and wifey Mira Rajput blessed with a baby girl
- Obama establishes world`s largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- Canadian twins plead guilty to terrorism, face jail time
- Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured