Lankan cricket needs to plan meticulously for future: Lorgat
Colombo: Sri Lanka Cricket needs to take tough decisions in order to face future competition, feels former ICC CEO and consultant advisor of the country`s governing body, Haroon Lorgat.
The veteran administrator, who joined the Sri Lanka Cricket after stepping down from the post of ICC CEO in June, said that the Island nation needs to prepare itself to face the future challenges in order to be among the very best.
"If we don`t do something about planning and prepare for the future and simply wake up the next morning to try and deal with what is on the table that is not good enough," Lorgat said.
"We all know that Sri Lanka faces financial and strategic challenges but it is worthy to complement the board that it has chosen to look at itself carefully and analyze the current situation," he added.
The 52-year-old, however, denied to comment on the work in progress.
"I wouldn`t want to comment on the work in progress," said Lorgat when asked about the recommendations put forth by him.
Lorgat is said to have recommended that the successful club-based first class system in the country be converted into a province based structure as in his native South Africa and most of the other geographically bigger cricketing nations than Sri Lanka, an idea which the critics doubt will work.
"It is a fact that in 2017 the world Test championship will be competed by the top four teams. If this country is in a position that it finds itself not in the top four it will not play in the championship. Similarly the world cup in 2019 will be competed by the best 10 teams," Lorgat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!