Lanka’s dramatic batting collapse puts Oz in driver’s seat in SCG Test
London: Sri Lanka suffered a dramatic batting collapse on day three of the final Test match in Sydney to give Australia the chance to complete a 3-0 series whitewash over the tourists.
The visitors overcame a brilliant Matt Wade century to be well positioned to set Australia a challenging fourth innings chase and push for a massive boil over in the third Test, the Age reports.
But Lanka suffered an embarrassing second-innings capitulation in the final session to be 7-225 at stumps.
Now, much is needed from remaining batsman Dinesh Chandimal if the Sri Lankans are to make something of their current lead of 87.
A series sweep for Australia and a winning farewell for retiring great Mike Hussey now appear a simple matter of time - the only problem being Mr Cricket may not bat again.
At least captain Michael Clarke threw Hussey the ball for Saturday`s last over. The Australians were under pressure at tea despite declaring at 9-432 half an hour before lunch for a first-innings lead of 138.
Sri Lankan batsmen Mahela Jayawardene (60) and Dimuth Karunaratne (85) played brilliantly to combine for 108, virtually eroding the deficit, but 1-132 quickly became 6-178.
Thilan Samaraweera and Lahiru Thirimanne were the chief culprits for playing unforgivable shots, before a disastrous run-out claimed captain-in-waiting Angelo Mathews.
When skipper Jayawardene was caught behind off Peter Siddle the next over, hope was running out for a brave but ultimately irresponsible Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users