Lara marvelled at captain Clarke’s rise as ‘run machine’
Sydney: Caribbean great Brian Lara has revealed the first time he met Michael Clarke ten years ago, he had no idea that the now Australia Test team captain would go on to become a run machine for his country in the future.
Lara first met Clarke in the Guyana capital, Georgetown, when the Oz batsman was simply looking for a lift into town, and after seeing the legendary Trinidadian also among the newly arrived at the airport, strolled up to him.
“We were in Guyana many, many years ago and I was a day late and I got off at the airport and this guy asked if I could take him into the city,” a leading daily quoted Lara, as saying.
“I asked him if he was a reporter. It was Michael Clarke. I`m not sure who he was replacing on that tour but somebody got injured,” he added.
“We became very, very good friends since then and it`s lovely to see the way that he has gone on,” he said.
Lara added: “He commanded a place on the Australian team very early and now as captain is leading his team very well. It`s wonderful, I think, also the fact that as captain it also enhanced his game.”
“That is something that is always an issue - if a guy is going to be given that job, how is he going to handle it, is it going to affect his batting? That seems to be out of the way,” he said.
“Obviously his scoring - the double centuries and the triple century - is awesome. Also his focus on winning as well, as the captain, is something that you very much have to very much appreciate it. Putting yourself aside to ensure the team is successful,” he further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi