Lara was great batsman, not captain: Cozier
Islamabad: Ace commentator Tony Cozier has said that he did not think Brian Lara made a good captain and was still being put back as captain very time by the West Indies Board, because the team was going through a very difficult period.
In an interview with pakpassion.net, Cozier said that the players needed someone not only to lead them in terms of scoring runs but someone to lead them in another way as well, someone who would get them together and ensure that each player would play to his best potential.
The commentator added that Lara was an outstanding and a great player but in his time he was the only great player in the West Indies team, whereas teams before had more than one, like Viv Richards, Greenidge, Haynes and Clive Llyod, among others.
Cozier compared Lara to Headley who in the 1930s was made captain after carrying the batting on his shoulders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region