Lawson, Taylor happy with Cowan’s inclusion in Boxing Day Test
Melbourne: Former teammates Geoff Lawson and Mark Taylor believe Ed Cowan’s inclusion in the team for the Boxing Day Test was a ‘no-brainer’ for the late bloomer who admits he felt betrayed by the former Cricket Australia selection panel.
Cowan, 29, has scored four tons this summer - 134*, 145, 145* and 109 to book a Boxing Day spot against India in Melbourne, a spot that should never have been in doubt insists Lawson.
“Ed Cowan is a man very much in form, he should be given the opportunity. To me, it is a bit of a no brainer,” said Lawson, of Cowan.
However Cowan feared his runs sprees would never be recognised by a previous selection panel that snubbed him last March for a winter Australia A tour of Zimbabwe.
“I had to contemplate sliding back in the national pecking order,” Cowan recalled in his book In the Firing Line.
“The truth is, it is a kick in the teeth, a setback that will have me pondering my long term future in the game. I am keen to know if this ends my dream of playing in the Baggy Green,” he told The Herald Sun.
However, Taylor said it was refreshing for a batsman to be rewarded for forcing his way into the Test line up the old fashioned way through scoring runs.
“I love that selection as he has demanded that selection with nine first class hundreds in two years. He has said to the selectors, ‘I am ready to play I will make you a hundred’,” said former Australian skipper Taylor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them