Laxman and Srikkanth to mentor Sun Risers as Tom Moody appointed coach
Hyderabad: The Indian Premier League (IPL) team, owned by the Sun Network, will be formally inaugurated in Hyderabad on Thursday. The Chennai-based media company, which acquired the team for Rs 425 crore, will unveil its logo and team name at a grand function. The team will be called Sun Risers.
The team has roped in Kris Srikkanth and VVS Laxman as mentors. Their exact roles have not yet been defined by the team management, but team officials say the two former India cricketers will have roles similar to that of Anil Kumble’s in the Royal Challengers Bangalore. One of them, if not both, will be present at the unveiling ceremony.
Laxman refused to comment on the appointment and said he would speak if he is able to attend the function. On Wednesday, he had to rush to Bangalore because of a death in his family. “I don’t know if I can attend the function as my uncle has passed away. I’m currently in Bangalore,” Laxman said.
Laxman, who retired from international cricket in August, is unlikely to play for the Sun Risers although he has played play a couple of matches for Hyderabad in the Ranji Trophy this season. Laxman was previously attached to Deccan Chargers and Kochi Tuskers Kerala. Both teams are nonexistent now. Meanwhile, a Sun official disclosed that Tom Moody will coach of the team. The former Australian all-rounder had also coached the Chandigarh-based Kings XI Punjab. Moody will be present at Thursday’s function.
Sun took over the Hyderabad franchise after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) terminated the contract of the Deccan Chargers. The new team has retained all the Deccan players, including overseas stars like Kumar Sangakkara, Dale Steyn JP Duminy and Cameroon White.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral