Laxman and Srikkanth to mentor Sun Risers as Tom Moody appointed coach
Hyderabad: The Indian Premier League (IPL) team, owned by the Sun Network, will be formally inaugurated in Hyderabad on Thursday. The Chennai-based media company, which acquired the team for Rs 425 crore, will unveil its logo and team name at a grand function. The team will be called Sun Risers.
The team has roped in Kris Srikkanth and VVS Laxman as mentors. Their exact roles have not yet been defined by the team management, but team officials say the two former India cricketers will have roles similar to that of Anil Kumble’s in the Royal Challengers Bangalore. One of them, if not both, will be present at the unveiling ceremony.
Laxman refused to comment on the appointment and said he would speak if he is able to attend the function. On Wednesday, he had to rush to Bangalore because of a death in his family. “I don’t know if I can attend the function as my uncle has passed away. I’m currently in Bangalore,” Laxman said.
Laxman, who retired from international cricket in August, is unlikely to play for the Sun Risers although he has played play a couple of matches for Hyderabad in the Ranji Trophy this season. Laxman was previously attached to Deccan Chargers and Kochi Tuskers Kerala. Both teams are nonexistent now. Meanwhile, a Sun official disclosed that Tom Moody will coach of the team. The former Australian all-rounder had also coached the Chandigarh-based Kings XI Punjab. Moody will be present at Thursday’s function.
Sun took over the Hyderabad franchise after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) terminated the contract of the Deccan Chargers. The new team has retained all the Deccan players, including overseas stars like Kumar Sangakkara, Dale Steyn JP Duminy and Cameroon White.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre