Laxman and Srikkanth to mentor Sun Risers as Tom Moody appointed coach
Hyderabad: The Indian Premier League (IPL) team, owned by the Sun Network, will be formally inaugurated in Hyderabad on Thursday. The Chennai-based media company, which acquired the team for Rs 425 crore, will unveil its logo and team name at a grand function. The team will be called Sun Risers.
The team has roped in Kris Srikkanth and VVS Laxman as mentors. Their exact roles have not yet been defined by the team management, but team officials say the two former India cricketers will have roles similar to that of Anil Kumble’s in the Royal Challengers Bangalore. One of them, if not both, will be present at the unveiling ceremony.
Laxman refused to comment on the appointment and said he would speak if he is able to attend the function. On Wednesday, he had to rush to Bangalore because of a death in his family. “I don’t know if I can attend the function as my uncle has passed away. I’m currently in Bangalore,” Laxman said.
Laxman, who retired from international cricket in August, is unlikely to play for the Sun Risers although he has played play a couple of matches for Hyderabad in the Ranji Trophy this season. Laxman was previously attached to Deccan Chargers and Kochi Tuskers Kerala. Both teams are nonexistent now. Meanwhile, a Sun official disclosed that Tom Moody will coach of the team. The former Australian all-rounder had also coached the Chandigarh-based Kings XI Punjab. Moody will be present at Thursday’s function.
Sun took over the Hyderabad franchise after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) terminated the contract of the Deccan Chargers. The new team has retained all the Deccan players, including overseas stars like Kumar Sangakkara, Dale Steyn JP Duminy and Cameroon White.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue