Laxman guides India to a heroic win at Mohali
Mohali: A heroic 73-run innings by VVS Laxman helped India rise from the rubble and pull off a dramatic 1-wicket victory over Australia in the first Test here at the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium on Tuesday.
From a point where India once stood at 124/8 and all hopes for a win seemed to be fading away, an ailing Laxman displayed a never-say-die spirit and continued to wage a lonely battle. And despite being troubled with a back spasm, not for once did he flinch and guided his team to a super-thrilling, nerve-wrecking victory.
The second innings for India indeed started on a disastrous note. After losing the fabled top order, that is, Gautam Gambhir (0), Virender Sehwag (17), Rahul Dravid (13) and Suresh Raina (0), dramatically on the penultimate day, India’s miseries continued to follow them on the final day as well.
Resuming the game on Tuesday at 55/4, India met with a similar fate as on Monday. They lost the priced wickets of Sachin Tendulkar (38), skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni (2), Zaheer Khan (10) and Harbhajan Singh (2) before lunch in the first session of the day as all smiles faded from the spectators’ faces.
But it was Laxman and Ishant Sharma who continued to hold fort and kept on pressing for a win. By the time the teams went for their lunch break, India had already posted a decent score of 162/8, which meant that they were just 54 runs short of the target.
While just 54 more runs in the post lunch session seemed achievable, it was the number of wickets India had already lost that gave the team some jitters and Australia a reason to smile.
However, with just two wickets in hand, the gritty duo of Laxman and Ishant resumed the game in the after-lunch segment. Playing with a runner, Laxman also went on to slam his 46th Test fifty.
Indian supporters had their fingers crossed as the duo slowly and steadily moved towards victory. But, all did not go as smooth for team as Ishant lost his wicket as a result of a wrong LBW decision by umpire Ian Gould.
The dismissal was just a hiccup for Laxman as he pulled himself back to hit his final shot and took India to a thrilling 1-wicket victory.
Zaheer Khan was awarded the Man-of-the-Match award for his 8-wicket haul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'