Lee looks to extend his career with place in World Cup squad
Melbourne: Injury-prone pacer Brett Lee has vowed to fight his way back into the Australian squad for the 2011 cricket World Cup on the sub-continent.
Lee said he is desperate to be part of team’s World Cup campaign in February-March next year and will look to extend his career if mind and body are willing.
“That’s definitely what I’m aiming for, that’s the reason I’m training so hard,” Lee was quoted as saying by the Sunday Telegraph.
On the comeback trail after an elbow injury, Lee had played a crucial role in the Blues’ six-wicket win over Queensland in their one-day match at the Gabba, taking 2-43 off nine overs.
Lee had also been supported by skipper Ricky Ponting, who had expressed his desire to have him in the squad for the World Cup in the sub-continent.
33-year-old NSW quick was ignored for the one-off twenty20 international against Sri Lanka though the cricketer made a successful comeback for his domestic team after a six-month layoff with an injury. He was also dropped from the national one-day squad for next month’s three-match series against the Lankans.
He will not play his next limited-overs match until November 26 and the pacer believes the long-gap will not help him regain his lost touch at the earliest.
“I’ve got a few weeks off, which is not ideal preparation,” said Lee, who retired from Test cricket earlier this year.
“It’s disappointing but it’s the way it goes. They told me they wanted me to play some more cricket. Unfortunately I don’t have any more cricket to play. I would have loved to have been playing [for Australia], I’m not, so it’s back to the drawing board and keep trying to do well whenever I get the opportunity.
“In a NSW or Australian set-up, if I never have to bowl a red ball again I’ll be happy,” he signed off.