Legal issues plunges PCB in further uncertainty
Karachi: Clouds of uncertainty continued to hover over Pakistan cricket with the Election Commission now contemplating to challenge the judgment of Islamabad High Court (IHC) ordering them to conduct elections for the post of PCB chairman in the Supreme Court.
According to sources, the Election Commission yesterday reviewed the orders by the IHC judge, Shaukat Siddiqui directing them to conduct elections for the PCB Chairman`s post on November 2nd.
"The ECP has reached the conclusion that under the constitution of the country it is only duty bound to fulfill five responsibilities and this does not include conducting elections of the cricket board," the source said.
He said the ECP would in a few days most likely challenge the IHC orders in the higher court which could immediately lead to a suspension of the PCB elections on November 2.
The Islamabad High Court on Monday passed an order that the elections for the Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board must be held on Nov 2nd.
In another development, Pakistan cricket board has filed an intra court appeal against the IHC judgment in July which had restrained the acting Chairman, Najam Sethi from exercising his full powers in the board.
The legal advisor of the board, Tafazzul Rizvi told PTI that a date had finally been given for the hearing of the intra court appeal which was October 29.
"Our appeal which challenges many facets of the IHC judgment given in July will now be heard by a two member bench on October 29," he said.
A few days ago Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif had, under amendments made in the PCB constitution, appointed a interim management committee to run cricket affairs in the country for the next three months.
Pakistan cricket administration and affairs has been in a state of turmoil and uncertainty since the IHC judgment in July which basically stripped interim chairman Najam Sethi of all his orders.
Rizvi said that the board had also challenged several clauses of the IHC judgment in its intra court appeal one of them being the move to restrict powers of the Chairman and also conditions set by the IHC that only former test or first class players can contest the PCB elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'