Lehmann says Muttiah Muralitharan will become Oz`s inside man
Sydney: Former Australian cricketer and current national team coach Darren Lehmann said Sri Lankan spin great Muttiah Muralitharan will become the squad`s inside man on the October Test tour against Pakistan.
Muralitharan would be an Australian coaching consultant on the tour of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) against Pakistan, working intensively with off-spinner Nathan Lyon .
According to News.com.au, Lehmann said Muralitharan is a true great of the game and his involvement with the Australian team would bring enormous benefits.
Lehmann added that Muralitharan understands the conditions Australia would face and would be able to impart a great amount of knowledge.
Lehmann said that not only will Muralitharan help guide Australian spinners during that tour, but he would also work with their batsmen to help them prepare to play Pakistan`s dangerous spin bowlers.
The move to enlist Test cricket`s greatest wicket-taker Muralitharan, who holds the record for 800 Test wickets, underlines Lehmann`s drive to bring specialist mentors into the Australian team structure.
Lehmann said as they have shown in recent times Australia would bring in dedicated skill-specific coaching consultants to their support staff as and when they see fit, adding that it means having more regular support from technical experts to help work on specific areas of performance
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?
- F-16s right platform for Pakistan's counter terrorism war: US
- In fight against impeachment, Brazil President Dilma Rousseff tries to win left support