Let Arjun Tendulkar enjoy his cricket: Rohan Gavaskar
Lahli (Haryana): Well aware of the burden of expectations that comes with a legendary surname, former India player Rohan Gavaskar is miffed at the way the cricket fraternity is following each and every move of Sachin Tendulkar`s 14-year-old son, Arjun.
Clearly not in a mood to discuss the progress made by the junior Tendulkar in school level cricket, Rohan said the kid should be left alone and allowed to "enjoy" his cricket.
"This is something I do not wish to discuss. I don`t want to talk about it," Rohan said at first.
Prodded a bit and the son of the legendary Sunil Gavaskar said, "The kid should be left alone, let him enjoy his cricket.
"I have spoken to Sachin, I have spoken to Anjali (Tendulkar) about it. This is not fair on them."
While his father is considered to be one of India`s finest ever batsman, the 37-year-old Rohan couldn`t really reach those dizzy heights during a cricket career spanning over a decade and a half.
Rohan played in 11 One-day internationals, with 54 being his best. With 6938 runs and 18 centuries in 117 matches, his first-class record stands a lot better. He had also captained Bengal for two seasons. Gavaskar had retired from first-class cricket last year.
Now a cricket commentator, Rohan shared the box with his father during the current ODI series against Australia, against whom he made his One-day debut in January 2004.
Knowing well that constant comparison could be a problem, Rohan doesn`t want Arjun to be weighed on the same scale as his legendary father when he grows up.
Arjun, who bats left-handed, had scored a century in the Mumbai Cricket Association`s Under-14 selection trials in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters