Let`s accept the team selectors have given us: Gavaskar
New Delhi: Former India cricket captain, Sunil Gavaskar today said the selectors should not be afraid of dropping non-performing players but refused to criticize the selection of the side for the upcoming Asia Cup.
There was a speculation that some senior players may be dropped in the wake of team`s poor show in Australia. However, the selectors refrained from making much changes in the side.
Asked if the players should be dropped, if their performance is not up to the expectations, Gavaskar said, "Of course."
"If you don`t do that, then it would mean that you can lose Test series 4-0, you can lose x number of matches. It does not matter. That`s the message sent. If that`s the case, we as cricket lovers must be prepared for such results in future as well," Gavaskar told a news channel.
Gavaskar, though, was in no mood to criticise the selectors for not making much changes to the side.
"I guess we have to accept it. Once a team is selected, do not criticise it. It will affect their morale. If they don`t perform then the players should be criticised," he said.
"Personally, I would have had some more changes. That`s the way to look forward. We`ll have to see about 2015. We are not in a position to determine the fitness of the players at that time but we can see, if there will be the same hunger, zeal, focus. They got to move on."
Selectors today `rested` Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan but retained Sachin Tendulkar in the squad while Virat Kohli was elevated to vice-captaincy.
Gavaskar said may be the selectors could have given Viart more chances to get experience before giving additional responsibilities.
"It`s a reward for his performance. It`s tad unfair to Gautam Gambhir. Virat has plenty of cricket ahead of him. He is future India captain but he needs to firmly establish himself in the team. In the meanwhile, let him get experience and exposure, so that when he becomes captain, he is ready," Gavaskar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared