Let`s be more vigilant: ICC after Westfield`s sentencing
Dubai: The ICC on Friday asked its member boards to be more vigilant as former Essex Player Mervyn Westfield was sent to jail for four months for his role in spot-fixing.
Westfield had pleaded guilty to the charge and was today sentenced by a British court.
"While the ICC takes no pleasure from anyone being sent to jail, it is a decision of the court which we support and I believe would act as a deterrent to anyone who is tempted to sully the good name of cricket," ICC CEO Haroon Lorgat said in a statement.
"In November 2010, the ICC Board required all Members to implement a domestic anti-corruption code which mirrors that of the ICC and the fact that this offence took place in a domestic competition is a timely reminder for us never to be complacent," he said.
However, it also appreciated the ECB in this regard.
"In the context of domestic vigilance, the ICC acknowledges the commendable steps taken by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) in setting up their domestic anti-corruption ACCESS Unit," Lorgat concluded.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview