Life is not about money; it`s more about happiness: Yuvraj
Gurgaon: When Yuvraj Singh posed for the shutterbugs clenching his fists, with the black shades, the clean-shaven look resembled a champion boxer just before his heavyweight bout, but dig a little deeper and one could gauge what a roller coaster ride it has been for him in the past few months.
It wasn`t about cricket anymore, it was his "Journey back to Life" as Lance Armstrong would tell you.
"My thoughts have changed. I became popular because of the game, had fame and money and everything in life. Now, it`s the presence of my family and friends that`s the most important thing. Money is important but more important is happiness and staying healthy," Yuvraj said in a pragmatic tone, answering to a query whether his philosophy of life has changed.
The battle against cancer has taught him that there is more to life than scoring runs.
"Earlier, I would think about scoring runs, taking catches, would bother about what you guys would write. Now when I would make a comeback, all these things won`t matter. I would play with less stress," he said.
Someone asked if he would ask God why he was in the current situation, the answer came in a flash, "Did I ask God why he chose me to be the Player of the Tournament (of the World Cup)? Then...."
Lance Armstrong`s book "It`s Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life" has been a bestselling motivational book and Yuvraj has started penning down his own thoughts too.
"I will certainly write a book. I have been writing and penning down my thoughts. My book will certainly come out one day and will help motivate people and make them think positively."
But his stay at the medical centre in Indianapolis also broadened his horizon about people who are affected by cancer and who fight it out.
"There used to be a lady who put flowers near my bed. Then I learnt that she had pancreatic cancer. But she was such a chirpy lady, full of life. Unlike me, she had hair. She would tell me that she has gone to Oakleys outlet. Then there was a gentleman whose wife has been taking chemotherapy sessions for the past 10 years. Americans are mentally very strong people. It`s amazing that they are so positive," said Yuvraj.
He thanked the Indian students who came to meet him in large numbers in the US with the national flag.
"It felt that I was in my own country. Someone waved the national flag and I felt that I was back playing World Cup final at the Wankhede."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday