Lillee urges Australia to deploy all ‘pace quartet’ in Gabba Test
Sydney: Australia`s greatest paceman Dennis Lillee has urged cricket selectors to axe spinner Nathan Lyon from the squad and deploy four quicks, in a bid to rattle the Proteas in the first Test at the Gabba, starting on Friday.
Lillee broke his silence to call for Australia on gaining an early psychological edge over the Proteas by rolling out a pace battery featuring James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus and Mitchell Starc.
“I`d go in with the (four) quicks. If Michael Clarke`s back is OK, he can bowl a few spinners,” the Herald Sun quoted Lillee, as saying.
Despite a slow start to the summer, Lyon has the inside running to secure a bowling berth for the Gabba Test, with Australian coach Mickey Arthur having publicly backed the tweaker in recent days, the paper said.
But with Australia being unable to call on the injured Shane Watson as a key change bowler, Lillee believes a pace quartet in Brisbane can blow the Proteas off the park and set up a series victory.
“I`d hit hard, make the most of the conditions for the fast bowlers and try and rip South Africa open first up,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh