Lillee urges Australia to deploy all ‘pace quartet’ in Gabba Test
Sydney: Australia`s greatest paceman Dennis Lillee has urged cricket selectors to axe spinner Nathan Lyon from the squad and deploy four quicks, in a bid to rattle the Proteas in the first Test at the Gabba, starting on Friday.
Lillee broke his silence to call for Australia on gaining an early psychological edge over the Proteas by rolling out a pace battery featuring James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus and Mitchell Starc.
“I`d go in with the (four) quicks. If Michael Clarke`s back is OK, he can bowl a few spinners,” the Herald Sun quoted Lillee, as saying.
Despite a slow start to the summer, Lyon has the inside running to secure a bowling berth for the Gabba Test, with Australian coach Mickey Arthur having publicly backed the tweaker in recent days, the paper said.
But with Australia being unable to call on the injured Shane Watson as a key change bowler, Lillee believes a pace quartet in Brisbane can blow the Proteas off the park and set up a series victory.
“I`d hit hard, make the most of the conditions for the fast bowlers and try and rip South Africa open first up,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?