Lord’s calling, Tatenda Taibu quits cricket aged 29
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Harare: Tatenda Taibu, Zimbabwean wicket-keeper batsman and their former skipper, has decided to quit cricket at the age of 29 to focus on working for the church.
Taibu has been out of action since the tour of New Zealand early this year due to a finger injury. But he was included in the country’s provisional squad for T20 World Cup in September.
"I just feel that my true calling now lies in doing the Lord`s work," Taibu said, "and although I am fortunate and proud to have played for my country, the time has come for me to put my entire focus on that part of my life."
Taibu has played 28 Tests and 150 ODIs for Zimbabwe at a time when cricket in his country saw its greatest upheavals.
Ever since he made his debut in 2001 at the age of just 18, he was seen as a special talent and a successor to legendary wicket-keeper batsman Andy Flower. Though he did not have a career as glittering as Flower’s but his is not a failed one. He finished as country’s fourth highest run-getter in ODIs. He also ended his career as the second most successful wicketkeeper of Zimbabwe if we go by the number of dismissals he affected.
In April 2004, he was appointed Zimbabwe’s first black captain following the resignation of Heath Streak. But amidst tension against the board after all the top cricketers decided against playing for the country, Taibu resigned from captaincy as well as quit international cricket altogether.
He then tried to settle down in South Africa and play international cricket for them. But he changed his mind and again reappeared in national colours in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days