Lord’s Test: Proteas bowlers wreck England’s top order, dictate terms on Day 2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
London: After scoring 309 runs in their first innings, South Africa were in commanding position as the hosts were struggling at 208/5 at stumps on Day 2 at the Lord’s Test.
England lost too many wickets in the morning session which sent them on the back seat and Proteas bowlers made the best of the seam conditions in Lord’s.
Strauss couldn’t contribute much with the bat in his 100th Test and was bowled by Morkel. Cook and Trot added nine more runs before Dale Steyn joined the party.
Steyn struck Trot on the pads and the appeal was turned down after which Smith reviewed the decision and the right-hander had to walk back to the pavilion as replays suggested the ball would have hit the leg-stump. Steyn removed Cook in his next over and it was a 124-run partnership for the fifth wicket between Bell (58) and Jonny Bairstow (72*) that stabilised the innings for the hosts.
Philander provided the much-needed breakthrough for South Africa as Bell lost his concentration and nicked one to the slips. Matt Prior (22*) was at the crease with Bairstow at the end of the day’s play.
Earlier in the day, Philander (61) continued to frustrate English bowlers with the bat and was the last wicket to fall. By then, the visitors had already cross 300-run mark and the fast bowlers wrecked England’s top order to make a comeback in the third and final Test.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!