Lorgat in CSA could affect India-S Africa cricket ties
Johannesburg: A top contender for the CEO`s post in Cricket South Africa, Haroon Lorgat`s appointment could end up creating a rift between the CSA and the BCCI, which is opposed to the former ICC official joining.
Lorgat is among the three contenders short-listed by CSA for the post and technically the favourite given his administrative experience in international cricket but the BCCI`s opposition could go against him.
There have been reports that the Indian Cricket Board has threatened to pull out of the upcoming tour to South Africa if the former ICC CEO is appointed as CSA`s CEO, something that was confirmed by the CSA`s independent director Norman Arendse earlier.
BCCI apparently did not have the best of equations with Lorgat during his ICC stint. No BCCI official in India was willing to speak openly on the issue, but a top Board functionary said that the BCCI would prefer if Lorgat was not selected for the post.
The BCCI is also miffed with the CSA for announcing the itinerary of the upcoming series without consulting it. India is opposed to the seven-match ODI series announced by CSA.
Some of the other contenders for the job are Bheki Shongwe, MD of Kaizer Chiefs, South Africa`s current football champions, university professor Denver Hendricks and head of Kagiso media Murphy Morobe.
But given that none of them have any experience of cricket administration, makes Lorgat a strong contender if not for the BCCI`s opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro