Lycamobile presents cheque for £250000 to Murali
London: Lycamobile, one of the largest global providers of low cost international mobile calls, has presented a cheque for £250,000 (USD 387,565.75) to Sri Lankan cricket legend Muttiah Muralitharan on behalf of the British Asian Trust.
According to a press release issued by Lycamobile, the amount is the first instalment of a £1 million grant the telecom company and its Gnanam Foundation announced to give to one of the Prince`s Charities.
The grant has been earmarked for projects in Sri Lanka that focus on reaching out to vulnerable populations in the country by supporting local organisations who are actively engaged in enhancing access to education, employment and health care.
Trust Ambassador Muttiah Muralitharan, better known as Murali, collected the cheque on behalf of The British Asian Trust, and is delighted by the generous donation.
Subaskaran Allirajah, chairman of Lycamobile and The Gnanam Foundation, commented, "We are committed to providing long-term support to people in need.”
"Our current partnership with The British Asian Trust has been successful in the on-going Skills and Training project which enables youth from slums in Chennai, India to gain employable skills.”
"I am delighted to extend this partnership to Sri Lanka where we can make a significant impact on the lives of disadvantaged people."
Group Chief Executive Officer of Lycamobile, Milind Kangle, stated that the team is keen to help the people in need following the company`s phenomenal success.
"We are glad to be in a position where we can now contribute significantly to a number of worthy causes."
The British Asian Trust will be managing the grant across four years, and will identify the areas through its in-house, and on-the-ground experts.
The charities will then be selected after a rigorous due diligence process to source the most impactful models.
The Trust`s Director of Investments, Abha Thorat-Shah said, "This contribution will enable us to expand our reach into Sri Lanka and allow us to support established local organisations that have a proven track record in delivering high impact projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year