Lyon turns to Clarke for tips to retain Ashes spot
Sydney: Australian off-spinner Nathan Lyon has reportedly consulted captain Michael Clarke about what he needs to do to retain his place in the Test side for the back-to-back Ashes campaign against England
Lyon is the only specialist spinner in Australia`s 16-man touring party to England, but he has backed West Australian youngster Ashton Agar and Pakistani refugee Fawad Ahmed and said that they have chances of being selected in the Ashes squad provided selectors decide to include a second specialist spinner.
Stating that he has spoken to Clarke about his role and his expectations of him in the side, Lyon said that if his manages his role well, he would be able to retain his spot despite his performance during the Test series against India, which he termed as being tough for all the players.
According to Lyon, he has grown up as a player during the India tour, adding that his side is looking forward to bringing the Ashes urn home as they have a well-balanced squad.
Meanwhile, Lyon, who has decided to relocate to Sydney to play for the domestic New South Wales after two seasons with South Australia, said that it was a family-based decision to get a good support structure off the field and move closer to his home.
Left-arm orthodox spinner Agar is already in England, while leg-spinner Ahmed, who has been training with the Australian squad two days a week in Brisbane, may be added to the Ashes squad if he has his Australian citizenship approved, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you