Maharashtra beat Assam by 128 runs, reach quarters of Ranji Trophy
Guwahati: Maharashtra qualified for the quarter-finals of the Ranji Trophy after notching an emphatic 128-run win over Assam on the final day of their Group `C` match, here on Thursday.
Maharashtra ended their Ranji Trophy group league engagements as table toppers with 35 points from eight games.
Chasing 344 for victory, Assam required another 250 runs on the fourth day with six wickets remaining. However, the hosts could manage to score 215 in their second innings with left-arm spinner Akshay Darekar picking up four for 84 while medium pacer Shrikant Mundhe finishing with two for 28.
This was Maharashtra`s fourth outright win this season. Starting the day at 94 for 4, overnight batsman Gokul Sharma (3) could add only one run to his individual score before being caught by wicketkeeper Rohit Motwani off Mundhe.
Syed Mohammad (11) too departed in quick succession, caught and bowled by Darekar.
Kunal Saikia and other overnight batsman Dheeraj Jadhav batted cautiously to raise a 52-run partnership for the seventh wicket before Darekar returned to send back the former for 32.
Jadhav, starting on 37, however, went on to complete his half-century even as wickets kept tumbling at the other end.
Jadhav departed after making a fighting 193-ball 61, laced with five fours. Assam skipper Abu Nechim Ahmed played an attacking cameo of 46 towards the end but it was too late for the hosts.
Maharashtra: 361 and 134 beat Assam 152 and 215 in 72.4 overs (Dheeraj Jadhav 61, Abu Nechim Ahmed 46; Akshay Darekar 4/84).
Points: Maharashtra 6, Assam 0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail