Mahmudullah and Shafiul showed character: Shakib
Chittagong: Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan was full of praise for the ninth-wicket pair of Mahmudullah and Shafiul Islam, who guided the team to stunning win over England in a group B World Cup match, here on Friday.
The pair raised 58 runs for the ninth wicket to lead Bangladesh to victory, and Shakib said both the batsmen showed great character. "Mahmudullah and Shafiul batted exceptionally well. They showed character. All the hard work has paid off," Shakib said after the match.
The Bangladesh skipper said conditions suited them in the first session. "Conditions were suitable to us as the ball was holding a bit6. Eoin Morgan batted brilliantly but we kept on the pressure. We knew that it would be difficult for a new batsman," he said. It turned out to be an unbelievable outing for the hosts after being made to stutter at 169 for 8 at one stage. "When they hit the last ball, I realised that we have won the match," he said.
The skipper, whose house was stoned after their loss humiliating loss to West Indies, was pleased to give the country something to cheer about. "Our country is very emotional about cricket. Now, we hope to win the next two games and depend on result of other matches," Shakib said.
England skipper Andrew Strauss was a disappointed man, but hoped his players would use the defeat to inspire them in the next match. "It`s very disappointing. But we have to channel the frustration and use that in our next match. West Indies is a big game for us," Strauss said.
He also praise Ajmal Shahzad`s effort, saying that the bowler bowled very well. Man of the Match Imrul Kayes, who held the innings together with a solid half century, said his role was to stay at the wicket.
"Thanks to Allah. With Tamim at the other end, my role was to stay at the wicket," he said.
After a solid start, Bangladesh fumbled a bit thanks to their middle-order batsmen, but Kayes hoped they would come good in the coming matches. Apart from scoring a half century, Kayes also pulled off a brilliant catch to bring to an end Morgan`s innings, and he latter admitted that it was an "important wicket".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27