Majola in firing line as tides turn in South African cricket
Johannesburg: The tides have turned in South African cricket as ousted Board president Dr Mtutuzeli Nyoka back in the driving seat and focus turns on chief executive Gerald Majola, who will have to answer allegations of irregularly pocketing a large IPL bonus.
Nyoka was fired in absentia in February after he claimed that Majola pocketed IPL bonus without having told him or the CSA Board about it. There are also claims that more than Rand 86 million cannot be properly accounted for in CSA books.
After Nyoka won a court battle, the same 11 provincial cricket union affiliate presidents who had voted to dismiss him earlier voted unanimously this week to reinstate him.
This was after CSA had initially said they would appeal the court decision to reinstate Nyoka.
Although Nyoka and Majola are said to have resolved their differences, cricket commentators believed that there is an uneasy truce that will flare up again as the external inquiry which Nyoka had earlier called for is now to take place.
Majola has stated that he would support Nyoka unconditionally as he resumes his position as CSA president.
CSA had instituted an internal inquiry into the IPL bonuses, which rapped Majola over the knuckles for disregarding procedures but cleared him of any financial wrongdoing. Although Majola had paid back his IPL bonus of almost Rand 2 million, Nyoka publicly said Majola had lied to him about it.
Now the South African Sports Confederation and Olympics Committee (Sascoc) has offered to undertake the independent inquiry into the finances of the CSA, which said it would make a decision on the offer soon.
CSA auditors Deloitte had agreed to approve the Board financial statements last year only if an independent inquiry was undertaken.
Nyoka is expected to institute this as a matter of urgency as he attempts to adhere to his promise of exposing any possible corruption within CSA.
The IPL second season was played in South Africa because of security concerns in India due to general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics