Majola like `a Frankenstein out of control`: Former CSA chief
Johannesburg: Cricket South Africa chief executive Gerald Majola was `like a Frankenstein which was out of control`, former CSA president Norman Arendse told the Nicholson inquiry into the financial affairs of the board.
"Much like the googly and the doosra, there is lots of deception in cricket," said Arendse, who resigned in 2008 after his relationship with Majola broke down irreconcilably.
Arendse accused Majola of ruling CSA with an iron fist.
"(Majola) comes with a document and says: `I propose the following people to sit on the audit committee (and) the remunerations committee.` There`s no debate, it is routinely rubber stamped by the board.”
"All of us involved in cricket have created this environment. It is like a Frankenstein, which is out of control, because you allowed the chief executive officer to get away with it," he said.
Arendse called for Majola to be suspended or put on special leave pending a disciplinary enquiry.
Majola paid out huge bonuses for the IPL II in 2003 to himself and other CSA staff without the sanction of the board.
An external inquiry by auditors KPMG last year also found Majola to be in breach of the Companies Act, something he admitted to the inquiry during his testimony last month.
The inquiry was instituted by Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula after a huge outcry that not enough was being done at CSA to address the issue, which had been dragging on for nearly two years after the IPL II was played in South Africa due to security concerns in India because of elections at the time.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata