Majola looks for more intl cricket matches at Mabhida
Johannesburg: Cricket South Africa (CSA) CEO Gerald Majola has welcomed President Jacob Zuma`s suggestion that the historic international match held at the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban on January 9 should be turned into an annual event.
South Africa hosted India in the only Twenty20 match of the tour last Sunday at the Moses Mabhida stadium, which the visitors won by 21 runs.
The venue is one of the stadiums that had hosted 2010 FIFA World Cup, staging five group games, one second round match and a semi-final tie.
"First up, CSA would like to thank both President Zuma and the public for making Sunday`s match at Moses Mabhida Stadium such a spectacular success, heralding a new era forSouth African cricket and adding much value to the nation`s tourism profile," Majola said.
"President Zuma`s suggestion for an annual event of this kind at this great stadium is an excellent one. CSA`s home international tours are governed by the International Cricket Council`s future tours programme and so we would have to have a close look at how we can repeat Sunday`s experience as an extra tour match in the future."
"We would also need the ICC`s permission to hold an extra match with international status, as happened for Sunday`s contest between South Africa and India," the Proteas administrator was quoted as saying by `Sport24`.
Majola said the CSA would need the co-operation of the Department of Arts and Culture, the Department of Sport and Recreation and the National Lottery Distribution Trust Fund Agency to make the event an annual one.
"The event was such a resounding success that CSA is confident that it can persuade all stakeholders to consider President Zuma`s suggestion most favourably. Once again, we thank him for his patronage and look forward to working with the Presidency in the future again on similar projects," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre