Majola questioned by police on 2009 IPL bonuses
Johannesburg: There seems no end to suspended Cricket South Africa CEO Gerald Majola’s woes, who was questioned by an elite police unit probing possible criminal charges related to the IPL bonuses that were paid to CSA staff after the 2009 edition held here.
The investigative unit, nicknamed the Hawks, has also seized documents from CSA offices and questioned Majola at his home.
Majola is under suspension following recommendations from the Nicholson inquiry instituted by Sports Ministers Fikile Mbalula after nearly two years of wrangling within CSA over huge IPL 2 bonuses that he paid himself and other senior CSA staff without informing the board.
The Nicholson inquiry has also recommended that the National Prosecuting Authority investigate possible criminal charges related to the issue.
IPL 2 was played in South Africa due to security concerns around elections in India in 2009.
The `City Press` claimed it had learnt on good authority that the unit, nicknamed the Hawks, had called on CSA`s offices just two days after Majola`s suspension last Saturday and that several documents were handed to investigators.
Sources close to Majola also confirmed to the weekly that the elite police unit had questioned Majola at his residence on Thursday and that Majola had cooperated fully.
Majola himself refused to comment on the visit or his imminent disciplinary hearing, continuing to proclaim his innocence as he vowed to fight the charges.
A Hawks spokesperson could also not be reached for comment.
Acting CSA president Willie Basson acted swiftly on the recommendations of the Nicholson report, with plans reportedly already underway for Majola`s disciplinary hearing.
Majola is believed to have hired one of the country`s leading labour lawyers to defend him at his disciplinary hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt