Majola questioned by police on 2009 IPL bonuses
Johannesburg: There seems no end to suspended Cricket South Africa CEO Gerald Majola’s woes, who was questioned by an elite police unit probing possible criminal charges related to the IPL bonuses that were paid to CSA staff after the 2009 edition held here.
The investigative unit, nicknamed the Hawks, has also seized documents from CSA offices and questioned Majola at his home.
Majola is under suspension following recommendations from the Nicholson inquiry instituted by Sports Ministers Fikile Mbalula after nearly two years of wrangling within CSA over huge IPL 2 bonuses that he paid himself and other senior CSA staff without informing the board.
The Nicholson inquiry has also recommended that the National Prosecuting Authority investigate possible criminal charges related to the issue.
IPL 2 was played in South Africa due to security concerns around elections in India in 2009.
The `City Press` claimed it had learnt on good authority that the unit, nicknamed the Hawks, had called on CSA`s offices just two days after Majola`s suspension last Saturday and that several documents were handed to investigators.
Sources close to Majola also confirmed to the weekly that the elite police unit had questioned Majola at his residence on Thursday and that Majola had cooperated fully.
Majola himself refused to comment on the visit or his imminent disciplinary hearing, continuing to proclaim his innocence as he vowed to fight the charges.
A Hawks spokesperson could also not be reached for comment.
Acting CSA president Willie Basson acted swiftly on the recommendations of the Nicholson report, with plans reportedly already underway for Majola`s disciplinary hearing.
Majola is believed to have hired one of the country`s leading labour lawyers to defend him at his disciplinary hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation