Malik dropped, Yousuf retained in Pak one-day squad
Lahore: Shoaib Malik was dropped but another former captain Mohd Yousuf was today retained by Pakistan`s national selectors in a 16-member squad for the one-day series against England.
Younus Khan was once again ignored for the series of two Twenty20 matches and five one-day internationals being held next month against England.
Chief selector Mohsin Khan claimed at a press conference that the board had not given clearance to select Younus.
"There are also fitness issues with him. Unless we don`t get clearance we can`t consider him," he said.
But while the selectors ignored Younus once again, they have retained former captain Muhammad Yousuf for the one-day series and also included five new players in the ODI squad including fast bowler, Shoaib Akhtar, all-rounders Abdul Razzaq, Muhammad Hafeez and Fawad Alam and opener Shahzaib Hasan.
The selectors have released Malik, pacer Tanveer Ahmed, opener Imran Farhat and Umar Amin from the Test squad currently touring England.
Pakistan`s one-day squad Shahid Afridi also said he had spoken to the PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt about Younus Khan but didn`t get a positive response.
"Obviously we have to pick from the players available to us and we also have to keep in mind that with the 2011 World Cup coming up we need to identify our shortlist of 20 to 22 nucleus of players," he said.
The PCB banned or fined seven players in March including Younus for indiscipline on the tour to Australia early this year.
Yousuf, who was also banned for an indefinite period, announced his retirement from international cricket but is now back in the squad after being called out of retirement in the middle of the Test series in England.
He made a successful comeback to the Test team at the Oval scoring 56 and 33 runs and Mohsin Khan said he had been retained in the one-day squad as he brought stability to the team.
The appellate tribunal of the PCB removed the ban from Younus in March but the PCB has said that a case is still pending against Younus and he has to first approach the board to be cleared for selection.
Afridi said Pakistan`s one-day squad is more balanced and experienced and would definitely put a good fight against England.
Pakistan one-day squad: Shahid Afridi (Capt), Salman Butt, Shahzaib Hasan, Azhar Ali, Muhammad Yousuf, Muhammad Hafeez, Umar Akmal, Kamran Akmal, Abdul Razzaq, Fawad Alam, Muhammad Aamir, Muhammad Asif, Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Shoaib Akhtar and Saeed Ajmal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam