Malik, Razzaq unlikely for ODI series against England
Lahore: Experienced all-rounders, Shoaib Malik and Abdul Razzaq, are unlikely to make the one-day squad for the forthcoming series against England in the United Arab Emirates.
Sources close to the national selection committee said that after a preliminary meeting and consultations with the team management in Abu Dhabi, it is unlikely the two seniors would be picked for the four one-day internationals and three Twenty20 matches.
"The only changes expected are Shahid Afridi and Sohail Tanvir will join the squad for the limited over games while Taufiq Umar and Azhar Ali will return home," a source said.
He said while Razzaq was struggling with fitness issues, Malik`s only chance of making the squad was to get more runs in the Pentangular Cup next round.
"Malik has scored a century in the previous round for Punjab and if he can get another big score in the next round which will clash with the third Test then their might be a tie between him and Asad Shafiq," the source said.
But he admitted that the team management was more keen on retaining Asad, who had performed well under pressure in the second Test scoring crucial runs for his team.
The source also said there was a lot of debate going on about retaining wicket-keeper Adnan Akmal for the limited over games after his steady performances in the Test matches.
"So far Adnan has been a regular in the test side but the selectors preferred to have Sarfaraz Ahmed for the limited over matches because of his superior batting abilities.”
"Adnan in the limited over games has shown improvement with each passing Test even in his batting," the source noted.
Chief selector Mohammad Illyas will leave for Dubai to watch the third Test and will finalise the limited overs squad after consulting the team management.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'