Malik turns down county offers in hope of national team recall
Karachi: Former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik has turned down approaches from county sides Hampshire and Essex, hoping for his possible inclusion in the Pakistan team for the Sri Lanka tour scheduled to start from June 1.
“I was offered county contracts through my representative but I refused to sign the deal because of a strict clause in those contracts,” Malik told The Express Tribune.
“The teams sought assurance that I’ll be forced to play for them if I sign the deal, even if I was selected for Pakistan. That left me with no option but to turn them down, as making a return to the national side is my priority. I’m hoping to regain my place in the squad ahead of the Sri Lanka tour.”
Pakistan will play three Tests, five One-Day Internationals (ODIs) and two Twenty20s in Sri Lanka. Malik, who has played 32 Tests and 203 ODIs, said he was working hard to maintain his form and fitness.
“I am training hard and also playing club matches these days. If I get another chance, I will try my best to perform for Pakistan,” he said.
Pakistan selectors will name the squad on May 12. Malik was omitted from the Asia Cup squad following the limited-overs series-loss against England.
However, his chances of regaining a place in the side improved after he passed the fitness test under the supervision of coach Dav Whatmore. The 30-year old has remained impressive in the domestic season where he also led Sialkot Stallions to two Twenty20 titles – the National Twenty20 and the Super Eight T20 Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'