Malinga was key player for Mumbai the entire CL T20: Harbhajan
Chennai: The total they put on board didn`t seem like a winning one but Mumbai Indians captain Harbhajan Singh said gamechanger Lasith Malinga proved to be the key as his depleted team lifted the Champions League Twenty20 trophy by beating the more fancied Royal Challengers Bangalore here.
Electing to bat first, Mumbai made just 139 in their 20 overs and it looked the match was out of their hands against an aggressive RCB line-up.
But Malinga (2/23) and Harbhajan himself (3/20) shone with the ball to eke out a 31-run triumph for Mumbai.
"Obviously, I was a little disappointed with the way we lost momentum in the middle overs, I still feel we could`ve got 160 on this wicket. We were 20 runs short. The wicket played like yesterday and we played a few bad shots and a couple of run outs didn`t help and we put ourselves in a very difficult situation," Harbhajan told reporters in the post-match press conference.
"When we got inside the dressing room in the middle of the innings, our coaches Polly (Shaun Pollock) and Robin (Singh) spoke to the boys and they said we should go out there and fight till the last ball. `I don`t want any of you to feel the game is over, because 140 could be the winning total`," he said.
"So I said to the boys (out) in the middle, `till the last ball is bowled, we`re going to go and give our best shot. It`s just a matter of one and a half hours, if we play well, we`re gonna win this. Believe that we can win this game`," he added.
Heaping praise on Malinga, Harbhajan said, "We got (Tillakaratne) Dilshan early and Mally (Malinga) is my man, he made a crucial breakthrough for us. He has bowled and batted superbly throughout the tournament and has been Mumbai Indians` top performer right from the day he joined, and even for Sri Lanka, he`s been among the top performers."
"I am very lucky to have a bowler like him. I rely on him to get wickets, to break partnerships in the middle overs and I can rely on him to bowl the death overs, even if six or seven runs are needed in the final over," Harbhajan added.
The feisty off-spinner said having injured regular captain Sachin Tendulkar in the dressing room also helped the team immensely.
"Sachin is a great cricketer, great role model for all of us and having him in the dressing room. Unfortunately he was not playing but his support was always there, and his ideas were there.
"It shows how much he loves the team and how much passion he has for the team. He was not playing but his efforts behind the scenes were as good as anyone in the field. He was very excited, very happy, you can`t ask for more, he is still taking pictures with the boys, holding the cup," he added.
Meanwhile, Malinga lauded the injury-ravaged team for keeping up the spirit.
I am an international player. (In my experience,) a captain can`t do much. Only individual players have to perform in match situations. He has to urge the players, but they have to perform," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda