Manish Pandey to bolster Pune Warriors line-up
Chennai: The return of hard-hitting batsman Manish Pandey after serving a ban is a huge plus for the Pune Warriors as they take on the Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League here Monday, according to the visiting team coach Geoff Marsh.
"It`s good news that he (Pandey) will be ready for the next match. He is a good Twenty20 player and a good fielder. We will decide about his inclusion in the evening," said Marsh.
Pandey, the first Indian to score a century in the IPL (114 not out in 2009), had represented the Royal Challengers Bangalore for last two seasons, but was released and the Warriors bought him at the January auction. However, Pandey was slapped a four-match ban for breaching IPL`s player guidelines.
"We have sorted out a couple of areas of concern, where we put ourselves down in two earlier matches. But we are taking the match positively and are confident on regaining our momentum," said Marsh at the pre-match media conference here Sunday.
The former Australian batsman pointed out that it was difficult for any team to win every match although that is the primary intention, in view of the strength and depth of talent in every IPL team.
"All teams are even, and that`s the reason why we are seeing a lot of close matches. All franchisees have done a lot of homework before picking their players and hence they have players of all sorts - bowlers, batsmen and all-rounders - in the team.
"All sides have depth and players who have the ability to change matches. So you can`t expect to a team to win every game, though that`s what every team is trying. All you can do is to try and execute the plans," said Marsh in an obvious reference to his team`s record of two wins and two losses.
"We had a great start to the championship, winning the first two matches. We lost the third, which we could have won and against Mumbai, we had them on the mat at 16 for three before we let them run away with the match. You can`t afford to do that against a team like Mumbai," he asserted.
On the Chepauk pitch for the Monday`s game, Marsh said it was difficult to predict how the surface would behave and it was more important for the team to execute their plans.
"It`s hard to predict a good total. All you can do is to go by the book of averages. The Kotla wicket hasn`t been great for batting in the last couple of years, but the surface for yesterday`s match (over 400 runs scored) was fantastic. So, it`s up to the first ball of match, and then we will plan accordingly.
"It will be about a lot of things, how well we bat and how well they ball, how well both teams field, and not just the pitch that determines a game," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in