Many awards named after Dhyanchand: Rajiv Shukla
Kanpur: Defending the government`s decision to confer Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar ahead of Major Dhyanchand, BCCI vice-president Rajiv Shukla on Sunday said the iconic batsman truly deserved the award and the hockey legend has been given due honour by naming many awards after him.
Asked about the government`s decision to bestow the prestigious award on Tendulkar and not to Dhyanchand, Shukla, also an union minister, said, "He (Dhyanchand) was a great hockey player. There are many awards given across the country which are named after him. The media should first check that number and then pose such type of question."
Tendulkar and eminent scientist Prof C N R Rao were yesterday chosen for Bharat Ratna with the batting maestro, who retired from international cricket yesterday, being the first sportsperson to be bestowed with the award.
Shukla, who is also the president of Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association, was here to take stock of preparedness of the Green Park stadium which will host the third and final ODI between India and West Indies.
Expressing his satisfaction over the state of the ground, Shukla said the deficiencies pointed out by the BCCI and West Indian Cricket Board will be corrected in time.
"The stadium is fully prepared to host an international match," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on