Marathe helps Mumbai reach 203-3 on day one
Lucknow: Sushant Marathe cracked a brilliant century and added 189 runs for the opening wicket with Kaustubh Pawar to help Mumbai reach 203 for three against Uttar Pradesh on the first day of their Ranji Trophy Elite Group A match on Tuesday.
Marathe scored 102 in 163 balls studded with 15 fours, while Pawar hit a patient 76 off 191 balls, laced with 10 boundaries at Dr Akhilesh Das Stadium here to give Mumbai a rollicking start.
Electing to bat, Mumbai raked up runs with consummate ease before losing Marathe, Abhishek Nayar (4) and Pawar in quick succession in the last session to slip from 189 for no loss to 203 for three in 62.1 over.
For UP, Bhuvneshwar Kumar scalped two for 64, while Piyush Chawla took one wicket for 40 on the first day of the match, which started nearly two hours behind the schedule due to cold and fog.
Night watchman Dhawal Kulkarni (2) and Mumbai captain Wasim Jafar (0) were at the crease at the draw of stumps.
It`s a do or die situation for UP, which lost its last match against Railways by an innings, and needs a good performance to remain in race for the title.
Mumbai first innings: 203 for three (Kaustubh Pawar 76, Shashank Marathe 102; Bhuvnesh 2/64, Chawla 1/40.)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail