Mark Taylor calls on Clarke to bat at No.4 to reduce pressure on youngsters
Melbourne: Former Australian Test captain Mark Taylor has called on rested captain Michael Clarke to bat in the No.4 spot during the winter Ashes series in order to reduce the pressure on new batsmen.
For the fifth Test of the last Ashes series, Australia`s two most experienced batsmen Shane Watson and Clarke batted at No. 3 and 4 respectively.
According to The Age, Taylor said that Australian sides have traditionally functioned best when the star run-maker, which in this instance is Clarke, batted in the top 4, and rookies earned their stripes further down the batting line-up, despite Clarke having his best record as a No.5.
Taylor further said that young players like Usman Khawaja and Phillip Hughes have been exposed in recent years by being asked to come in at No.3 or No.4 and produce when the heat is on at the start of the innings, adding that it is vital for the future of the batting order that there is a permanent return to the transition process of yesteryear.
Stating that it is harsh on the young players when they get forced out of the team due to undue pressure, Taylor also said that a player should bat down the order and work his way up, adding that they can eventually force Clarke to bat at No.6 by making more runs than him.
Taylor further advised Clarke and the better, experienced players to move up the order and give the younger players an opportunity to get settled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof