Mark Taylor calls on Clarke to bat at No.4 to reduce pressure on youngsters
Melbourne: Former Australian Test captain Mark Taylor has called on rested captain Michael Clarke to bat in the No.4 spot during the winter Ashes series in order to reduce the pressure on new batsmen.
For the fifth Test of the last Ashes series, Australia`s two most experienced batsmen Shane Watson and Clarke batted at No. 3 and 4 respectively.
According to The Age, Taylor said that Australian sides have traditionally functioned best when the star run-maker, which in this instance is Clarke, batted in the top 4, and rookies earned their stripes further down the batting line-up, despite Clarke having his best record as a No.5.
Taylor further said that young players like Usman Khawaja and Phillip Hughes have been exposed in recent years by being asked to come in at No.3 or No.4 and produce when the heat is on at the start of the innings, adding that it is vital for the future of the batting order that there is a permanent return to the transition process of yesteryear.
Stating that it is harsh on the young players when they get forced out of the team due to undue pressure, Taylor also said that a player should bat down the order and work his way up, adding that they can eventually force Clarke to bat at No.6 by making more runs than him.
Taylor further advised Clarke and the better, experienced players to move up the order and give the younger players an opportunity to get settled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why