Marlon Samuels warms up for first Test with half-century
Bridgetown (Barbados): West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels celebrated his return to full fitness with a typically elegant half-century on the second day of the three-day tour match against Zimbabwe here.
The right-hander struck 55 as the High Performance Centre tallied 213 for seven in reply to Zimbabwe`s 255 for eight declared, at the Desmond Haynes Oval.
Leg-spinner Graham Cremer staked his claim for a spot in the final XI for the first Test with five for 74.
Samuels has been kept out of action ever since he suffered a serious eye injury while playing in the Australia Big Bash in early January. He top edged a short ball from Sri Lankan speedster Lasith Malinga into his face.
Sidelined for the one-day and Twenty20 series against Zimbabwe, Samuels readied himself for next week`s start of the first Test at Kensington Oval with an innings that required 80 balls in 104 minutes, and contained ten fours.
He put on 74 for the third wicket with captain Kyle Hope whose top score of 62 came from 133 balls in 164 minutes at the crease, with seven fours and a six.
The partnership pulled the HPC around from a rocky position of 15 for two in the fifth over of the innings after seamer Kyle Jarvis knocked over Trevon Griffith (7) and Andre Fletcher (0) cheaply.
When Samuels pulled Cremer to Tino Mawoyo at mid-wicket with the score 89, the HPC then lost four wickets for 55 runs.
However, wicketkeeper Jahmar Hamilton (37) and Yannic Cariah (36) propped up the innings with a 68-run, seventh wicket stand.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!