Marsh re-emerges as contender for first Test against India
Melbourne: Shaun Marsh, who was virtually ruled out of the first Test against India starting from December 26 here, has re-emerged as a contender for the opening game and is all set to join his Australia teammates for a batting camp on Tuesday.
Marsh was thought to be out of team`s scheme of things for the first Test after he withdrew from Cricket Australia Chairman`s XI`s ongoing three-day warm-up match against India due to a back injury.
Even CA general manager of performance Pat Howard had declared Marsh "unlikely at this stage". But Marsh has been working extremely hard to get fit on time.
And, he also claimed that he would be available for selection.
Marsh scored 141 on debut in Sri Lanka, backed it up with an 81 and 18 in Colombo, then scored 44 and a duck, which came as a number 10 after he had already suffered a back injury in Cape Town.
The news that Marsh is likely to be fit for the first Test will place renewed pressure on Usman Khawaja to score runs in the Chairman`s XI game in Canberra.
Even Ryan Harris has declared himself fit for the opener at the MCG.
"I`m pretty good," said Harris, who bowled impressively yesterday in Twenty20 Big Bash League as selector Andy Bichel watched on.
"I`m aiming to play (tonight), hopefully I get through and if everything goes well I should be right for the first Test. I need match conditions to see how it handles it and see if I`m up for the first match," he was quoted as saying by `Daily Telegraph`.
With Shane Watson is unlikely to bowl even if he is cleared of hamstring and calf complaints for the first Test, there are fears that Australia could be left with one pacer short against a solid Indian top-order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow