Master Blaster Viv Richards to join Big Bash side Melbourne Stars as `mentor`
Sydney: Legendary West Indian batsman Viv Richards will act as mentor for the Melbourne Stars during the Big Bash League that begins on December 7.
The Antiguan champion is the second of Wisden`s cricketers of the century, along with captain Shane Warne, on board with the Stars this season.
Chairman of selectors Ian Chappell said the addition of one of the central figures of the dominant West Indian teams of the 1970s and 80s was a huge coup.
"Shane was very keen to get Viv involved with the Stars," News.com.au quoted Chappell, as saying.
"As a player Viv set himself high standards with former Pakistan captain Imran Khan describing him as a batsman who intimidated bowlers. He was also one of the best all-round fieldsmen I`ve seen - brilliant in any position from cover to slips and even at bat-pad," he added.
"We feel Viv will provide another expert opinion for the players to seek out, complementing what is already a strong support staff," he said.
Richards, in Australia this week, remains one of only four non-English cricketers to have scored more than 100 first-class centuries.
He`ll join head coach Greg Shipperd, playing batting coach Brad Hodge and bowling coach Damien Wright in a high-profile back-room staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader