Mathews injured, Chamara Silva named as replacement
Colombo: Middle-order batsman Chamara Silva was on Friday hurriedly brought in to replace an injured Angelo Mathews in the Sri Lankan team for the two-match Test series against England. Sri Lanka Cricket said that Mathews` vice captaincy role will be taken over by Thilan Samaraweera.
Silva, the leading scorer in the just-concluded domestic season and a centurion in the three-day warm-up match against England which concluded yesterday, was not in the original 14-man squad announced earlier in the day. Silva, 32, returns to the side after a four-year lay-off, having played his last Test in the West Indies in April 2008.
The first Test begins in Galle on March 26 with the second match to be played in Colombo from April 3-7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'