Mathews named Sri Lanka`s T20 captain
Colombo: All-rounder Angelo Mathews was today named Sri Lanka`s Twenty20 captain for a period of one year, succeeding veteran Mahela Jayawardene, who quit the captaincy after the World Twenty20 final.
Mathews will lead the side in the lone T20 match against New Zealand on October 30 at Pallekele.
The 25-year-old Mathews has been vice-captain since July last year.
Fast bowler Lasith Malinga has been named his deputy, also for a one-year term, Sports Ministry announced today.
Meanwhile, sources in the sports ministry, said that both Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara may be rested for the T20 against the Kiwis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31