Mathews, Perera guide Sri Lanka to `solid` first innings total on 2nd day of 3rd Test against Pak
Johannesburg: Sri Lanka has made a solid first innings total on the second day of the third and final Test against Pakistan in Sharjah on Friday, guided by captain Angelo Mathews and debutant Dilruwan Perera, although both narrowly missed centuries.
Needing a draw to seal a series victory, the touring batsmen, who resumed on their overnight score of 220 for five, appeared in no hurry to score runs on a slow turning pitch, and although they lost Prasanna Jayawardene (35) early, he, however added 73 runs with Mathews (91) for the sixth wicket.
According to Sport24, Mathews, who scored 91 and 157 not out in the drawn first Test in Abu Dhabi, continued to frustrate Pakistan and added 112 runs with Perera (95) before he got out.
Pakistan openers Khurram Manzoor (14) and Ahmed Shehzad (five) survived six overs before stumps to take their team to 19 for no loss, after Sri Lanka declared their first innings on 428 for nine wickets, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured