Mathews, Perera guide Sri Lanka to `solid` first innings total on 2nd day of 3rd Test against Pak
Johannesburg: Sri Lanka has made a solid first innings total on the second day of the third and final Test against Pakistan in Sharjah on Friday, guided by captain Angelo Mathews and debutant Dilruwan Perera, although both narrowly missed centuries.
Needing a draw to seal a series victory, the touring batsmen, who resumed on their overnight score of 220 for five, appeared in no hurry to score runs on a slow turning pitch, and although they lost Prasanna Jayawardene (35) early, he, however added 73 runs with Mathews (91) for the sixth wicket.
According to Sport24, Mathews, who scored 91 and 157 not out in the drawn first Test in Abu Dhabi, continued to frustrate Pakistan and added 112 runs with Perera (95) before he got out.
Pakistan openers Khurram Manzoor (14) and Ahmed Shehzad (five) survived six overs before stumps to take their team to 19 for no loss, after Sri Lanka declared their first innings on 428 for nine wickets, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur