Mathews, Perera guide Sri Lanka to `solid` first innings total on 2nd day of 3rd Test against Pak
Johannesburg: Sri Lanka has made a solid first innings total on the second day of the third and final Test against Pakistan in Sharjah on Friday, guided by captain Angelo Mathews and debutant Dilruwan Perera, although both narrowly missed centuries.
Needing a draw to seal a series victory, the touring batsmen, who resumed on their overnight score of 220 for five, appeared in no hurry to score runs on a slow turning pitch, and although they lost Prasanna Jayawardene (35) early, he, however added 73 runs with Mathews (91) for the sixth wicket.
According to Sport24, Mathews, who scored 91 and 157 not out in the drawn first Test in Abu Dhabi, continued to frustrate Pakistan and added 112 runs with Perera (95) before he got out.
Pakistan openers Khurram Manzoor (14) and Ahmed Shehzad (five) survived six overs before stumps to take their team to 19 for no loss, after Sri Lanka declared their first innings on 428 for nine wickets, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway