Mathews ruled out of Asia Cup due to calf injury
Mirpur (Bangladesh): All-rounder Angelo Mathews was on Wednesday ruled out of the ongoing Asia Cup tournament due to a calf injury, dealing a blow to Sri Lanka`s chances in the four-nation cricket tournament.
Sri Lanka Cricket is yet to name a replacement for Mathews, who had missed the finals of the recently-concluded Commonwealth Bank series in Australia due to the same problem.
"The last couple of days Angelo has had some fitness tests, he hasn`t pulled through those well, so we made a call to send him back home," Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene said.
"He will try to get ready for the Test matches (against England) that starts in about ten days` time. The selectors back home will decide (on his replacement)."
With Thisara Perera also missing due to a back injury, there is a dearth of all-rounders in the Sri Lankan squad, which forced Tillakaratne Dilshan to bowl his quota of ten overs in the opening game against India on Tuesday.
Such was their plight in the opening game that Sri Lanka had to turn to Chamara Kapugedera, who is has taken just two wickets in his 90-match ODI career.
The team is yet to confirm injured pace spearhead Lasith Malinga`s availabilitty for tomorrow`s match against Pakistan.
"Malinga played through injury in the final two matches of the CB series, so we decided to give him a break yesterday (against India)."
"Yesterday he bowled a bit, he will be bowling today as well, and after his bowling session we will take a call on him tomorrow," Jayawardene said after a training session here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal