Mathews ruled out of Asia Cup due to calf injury
Mirpur (Bangladesh): All-rounder Angelo Mathews was on Wednesday ruled out of the ongoing Asia Cup tournament due to a calf injury, dealing a blow to Sri Lanka`s chances in the four-nation cricket tournament.
Sri Lanka Cricket is yet to name a replacement for Mathews, who had missed the finals of the recently-concluded Commonwealth Bank series in Australia due to the same problem.
"The last couple of days Angelo has had some fitness tests, he hasn`t pulled through those well, so we made a call to send him back home," Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene said.
"He will try to get ready for the Test matches (against England) that starts in about ten days` time. The selectors back home will decide (on his replacement)."
With Thisara Perera also missing due to a back injury, there is a dearth of all-rounders in the Sri Lankan squad, which forced Tillakaratne Dilshan to bowl his quota of ten overs in the opening game against India on Tuesday.
Such was their plight in the opening game that Sri Lanka had to turn to Chamara Kapugedera, who is has taken just two wickets in his 90-match ODI career.
The team is yet to confirm injured pace spearhead Lasith Malinga`s availabilitty for tomorrow`s match against Pakistan.
"Malinga played through injury in the final two matches of the CB series, so we decided to give him a break yesterday (against India)."
"Yesterday he bowled a bit, he will be bowling today as well, and after his bowling session we will take a call on him tomorrow," Jayawardene said after a training session here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference