Mathews ruled out of Asia Cup due to calf injury
Mirpur (Bangladesh): All-rounder Angelo Mathews was on Wednesday ruled out of the ongoing Asia Cup tournament due to a calf injury, dealing a blow to Sri Lanka`s chances in the four-nation cricket tournament.
Sri Lanka Cricket is yet to name a replacement for Mathews, who had missed the finals of the recently-concluded Commonwealth Bank series in Australia due to the same problem.
"The last couple of days Angelo has had some fitness tests, he hasn`t pulled through those well, so we made a call to send him back home," Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene said.
"He will try to get ready for the Test matches (against England) that starts in about ten days` time. The selectors back home will decide (on his replacement)."
With Thisara Perera also missing due to a back injury, there is a dearth of all-rounders in the Sri Lankan squad, which forced Tillakaratne Dilshan to bowl his quota of ten overs in the opening game against India on Tuesday.
Such was their plight in the opening game that Sri Lanka had to turn to Chamara Kapugedera, who is has taken just two wickets in his 90-match ODI career.
The team is yet to confirm injured pace spearhead Lasith Malinga`s availabilitty for tomorrow`s match against Pakistan.
"Malinga played through injury in the final two matches of the CB series, so we decided to give him a break yesterday (against India)."
"Yesterday he bowled a bit, he will be bowling today as well, and after his bowling session we will take a call on him tomorrow," Jayawardene said after a training session here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city