MCA doesn`t have right to name club after Sachin Tendulkar: Shiv Sena
Mumbai: Terming as illegal the decision of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) to christen its newly built suburban Kandivali club house after Sachin Tendulkar, the Shiv Sena has sought municipal commissioner`s intervention in the matter.
"We are not opposed to naming the club house after Sachin. We are against the procedure. The plot on which it has come up belongs to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and has been leased to MCA."
"As per rules, only the civic body has the right to name any structure, square, road and place. As a result, MCA`s decision to name the club house after Tendulkar is illegal," Shiv Sena corporator and Leader of House in BMC, Yashodhar Phanse said.
"MCA should approach the Mayor with a proposal to name the structure after Sachin and we will ensure it is passed by the civic body," Phanse said.
Phanse had in July alleged that the club house constructed by MCA on the Kandivali plot was illegal and in violation of agreement.
"MCA carried out construction on the land marked as playground beyond permissible limits. The plot is meant for sporting activities but MCA has built a bar, a restaurant and card rooms, which are unauthorised. MCA has not even secured mandatory occupation certificate from BMC," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog