MCA polls: Kapil lends support to Team Vengsarkar
Mumbai: Former India skipper Kapil Dev on Wednesday lent his support to ex-national teammate Dilip Vengsarkar, who is contesting for the Mumbai Cricket Association`s (MCA)
The former all-rounder also wondered why ex-cricketers could not be found heading cricket associations in the country.
"I don`t understand why cricketers can`t head a cricket body," said the country`s first World Cup winning skipper at an event.
He was flanked by Vengsarkar and his panel members Chandrakant Pandit and Balwinder Singh Sandhu.
"I`m confused sometimes that why people who are associated with the game shouldn`t come forward for contesting election. If Finance Committee can talk about finance, can`t cricketers talk about cricket," he said.
"I don`t understand why in our country someone who has not played cricket handles all the cricket bodies, he added.
Referring to the Vengsarkar panel, he said, "These people have served the game for many years. They have given their life and blood for the game. They have been in MCA for eight years. There is no reason why they can`t handle further."
Vengsarkar is locked in a straight contest with Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh for MCA`s president post.
The biennial Polls will be held on July 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband