McCullum ‘worried’ about ‘beleaguered’ Taylor
Wellington: New Zealand cricketer Brendon McCullum has expressed empathy for teammate Ross Taylor after he was stripped of his captaincy role.
McCullum, reportedly looked upset and angry as he attended a press conference about the circumstances that had led to Taylor to lose captaincy in all three forms of the game, and said he was worried for him.
“I`m worried for Ross and how he is dealing with things at the moment and how we try and ensure we pull together this team in a short space of time, for what is going to be an incredibly tough tour to South Africa,” McCullum said.
“My own individual accolade picking up the captaincy is certainly not the focus. I guess I`m more concerned right now with how the team is handling this situation and where we go from here, how we try and galvanise the unit,” he added.
McCullum said he was hopeful of working with Taylor and in the team and thought they could work something out.
“I thought we could have worked really well together. Ultimately now I`ve now got a job to do and help this team achieve more wins. That`s where my focus is, rather than trumpeting the fact I`m test captain,” McCullum said.
He said it had been an "incredibly difficult week for everyone involved" but in running with the theme of the day, he didn`t want the focus to be on him, the report said.
"I don`t want to sit here and say how hard it`s been on me because it`s been a lot harder on other people, but as long as you know your dealings are honest and you maintain your integrity throughout then you can look yourself in the eye and know you`re doing the right thing,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly